After running the London Marathon in 2010 I continue my pursuit for sporting greatness without the aid of running shoes. I now run 'Barefoot' full time and aim to run the London Marathon 2012 'bare'

My blog is an account of training for running, triathlon, staying fit for life and pushing my body to it's limits to become 'superfit'. I hope it will inspire others to go out and get fit for life and see how enjoyable and rewarding it can be

Thursday 24 June 2010

Back on the horse

Sorry it has been a while since I updated, life sometimes gets in the way and between, work, eating, walking the dog etc writing about running takes a bit of a back seat. It needs to come up and join me up front for the Gemma ride so here I am :)

So with 6 weeks until the Newark half marathon I have had to pick up the training a bit. Since the marathon I had mainly been doing 'maintenance' training just to keep fitness levels up but over the past 3/4 weeks I have started to build up the mileage. Whilst at this stage i could probably squeeze out a half marathon but I want to do a good job, with my first half done and dusted, I need to start improving and get faster and stronger ready for the Dublin Marathon 2011

Most of my runs are now done 'barefoot' and will be doing my first long run 'barefoot' this weekend. During the week I am running either 4.3, 5.2 or 6.3 miles and I am running almost every run like it's my last. Since beginning to despise running due to injuries in the latter days of marathon training, I never take my ability to run for granted anymore and even when it's not going my way, I try to do the best I can. As a result my times are getting better and better, positive thinking is the way forward and since VLM that's reflected in my life in general as well as running. Why moan and gripe about something you choose to do, and if you don't enjoy it, why bother? Life is too short to be miserable.

I did my first long run since VLM a few weeks ago, it was 'just' 10 miles but it was a good confidence boost, I could of probably kept going and I felt good after it. This is the point where I could see what I needed to do over the next 6 weeks. My current training plan consists with 4 shorter runs during the week with an optional long run at the weekend (without the long run I'm still clocking up over 20 miles). Whilst the long run is optional I hope to get at least 3 in by race day one of 11 miles, 12, and a 14 possibly. I am hoping this more laid back attitude (although disciplined during the week) will keep me injury and stress free.

I have 2 weeks until my first 10 km race in about 4 years, it's a nice local flat race so I am hoping to get at the very least a sub 55 but anything around 53 would be even better! My race PB back then was 59:32, if I don't beat that, something is wrong....lol!

So the rest of this week consists of 6/7 miles tomorrow evening, a rest day and a cycle ride possibly on Saturday and 11/12 miles on Sunday! It's going to be a scorcher so I'll be running to the very shaded woods for the long one and possibly fairly early in the morning! If I run these training runs, I will of clocked around 35 miles this week :)

Anyway, I think that's all you need to know for now, I will try and update more often now that my targets are looming..... I actually can't wait to race again.... aaaa racing without injury.... BLISS!

No comments:

Post a Comment